Linggo, Agosto 3, 2014

My Belgian Malinois "Waffle"


Waffle at 4 months and the couch 
she tore when she was bored
Sunday, it’s the day of my week when I stay at home, wear whatever I want to, be as simple as I want to be, no make up on, eat whatever I want and spend time with my family but aside from that, Sunday is also “Waffle” day for me.


Who is Waffle?  Waffle is my 8 months Belgian Malinois. I got her as a Christmas gift from my boyfriend. We named her as such because his Dad (my boyfriend) loves to eat Belgian Waffle and since she is a Belgian and the same color as a waffle, her name became the former. She was 2 months when we got her. I was planning to get a Shih Tzu that day, but when we saw her, I got hooked up with her charm and sweetness and that closed the deal.

Waffle at 6 months and her
favorite toy "BALL"

Waffle belongs to the Belgian Malinois breed of dogs. They are working dogs that usually aids in detecting explosives, narcotics, and use in tracking and rescuing people. Basically, they are police or military dogs. Their color is from fawn to mahogany and tan with black mask. My waffle’s coat is mahogany and she has a good looking black mask.


Malinois are very intelligent, active, alert and hard working. The first time we got Waffle, she is very attentive to the sounds of her new environment. She would always look for the source of the former. At 2 months she also learned a few tricks like sit, stand, up and down. By the time that she was 3 months she learned how to fetch and catch the ball in the air. She also learned how to roll and play dead by then.


My little girl loves playing and she has a whole lot of energy for it. Her drive  usually comes with her toy- BALL. Yes, she loves playing with her toy ball….. Whenever she sees her toy ball, she would definitely want to bite it or catch it.  


Every day  Waffle and I follow a routine for her exercise. Belgians are known to be destructive if they don’t have one and I myself saw the things that Waffle did when she don’t have exercise,  that’s why I strictly follow this routine of ours. I keep her mentally and physically exercised.  Since her drive comes from her toy “Ball,” I use it as a tool for her exercise. We always play hide and seek, wherein I will hide the ball on different  spots in the garage and her task is to find it. We also play catch, but with a little bit of a twist.  I toss the ball in the air and she will catch it, after she does she will go up to her pedestal and go down and go up again to give me the ball. The drill will end once she’s tired  because as they say “tired Belgian Malinois are Happy Belgian Malinois.”
The good thing about having a Belgian Malinois as well is that they are one of the dog breeds that have lesser health problems. They likely have a good health record compared with their other working breed counterparts, but to be sure I give Waffle vitamins  that will surely give her the nutrients that she needs.


Having Waffle in my life is such a blessing. Yes at times she tests my patience, but she definitely gives me her  100% unconditional love.  Every time she excitedly  greets  me when I go home, all the stress that I have  during the day vanishes. Walking and exercising with her is so much fun. Teaching and seeing her learning a trick makes me proud and satisfied. 

Waffle is my baby girl, my not so little baby girl that I love so much.







Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento